What do you need to get started on my tax return?
That depends! If you’re a new client and we haven’t already spoken, you’ll need to start by completing your Introductory Survey. We’ll go over next steps and details once this is complete.
If you’re a returning client, or a new client who has done the above, we will need the following from you prior to getting started on your tax return:
- Signed Engagement Letter
- Paid Deposit (payable with the engagement letter once all parties have signed)
- Completed Organizer
- Your initial documents provided through Moxo
Details on all of this are provided with your engagement letter delivery. For new clients, this usually gets to you about two weeks after you approve your quote. There are some steps that have to happen before this, and how long all of that takes in in part dependent on you.
When will I get my engagement letter?
As with most things, that depends!
If you are an individual, I will need you to complete the Auxiliary Software Consent prior to preparing your engagement package.
Engagement letters for returning clients go out as soon as all systems are set as a go, with any updated processes supported with details and how-tos sent directly to clients. We aim to push these out no later than January of the tax season. New clients onboarding during the year generally receive their first engagement letter about two weeks after quote approval. This is dependent on how and when we’re starting to work together.
What are these Auxiliary Software Consents I keep seeing?
Informed consent is important. Beginning in December of 2021, we started asking our clients to complete an Auxiliary Software Consent. This consent outlines the software we use in providing services to you.
You do not have to grant consent for us to use each piece of software. Choosing not to grant the use of a specific piece of software may incur additional fees.
The sooner we have compelted consents from you (and your spouse or partner if filing a married joint tax return), the sooner we will be able to prepare your engagement letter.
What comes with my engagement package?
Your engagement package will be delivered through a series of emails:
- An email directly from me telling you your engagement letter is on the way. This letter will include a link to your engagement letter.
- An email from Proposify notifying you of your engagement letter. This email will also include links to your organizer and Moxo.
- A notification regarding your Tax Return Preparation Flow in Moxo
Where can I find my organizer?
There are two main organizers for tax return preparation:
- Individuals can find their organizer for their 1040 here. If you are filing joint tax return with your partner, only one of you will need to complete this organizer.
- Business Entities filing a separate return can find their organizer here. This includes Partnerships and S-corporations.
Organizers help us help you by asking you questions we need to know the answers to. They help us keep those questions consistent. These organizers may seem tedious and unnecessary, however, they are designed to capture as much information as possible and make sure we’re equipped to help you and offer you all the support you need.
Is it safe to put my personal identifying information on this form?
Cognito Forms is fully encrypted. It meets the IRS’s standards for this. I only ask for PII (Personal Identification Information) through secure and encrypted channels. As an Enrolled Agent (EA) with the IRS, I am bound to ethical standards defined by the IRS, which include standards about data sharing.
Can I just send you my information by email?
Email is not secure, and should not be used for transmitting anything with Personal Identification Information.
Crayon Advisory, LLC uses two tools to transmit information securely:
- Moxo is a conversation based portal and is encrypted at rest and in transmission
- Cognito Forms – we have several forms set up for various uses. Each form is encrypted at rest and in transmission.
Where do I start with working with you?
The first step to working with us is completing an introductory survey. Your survey is the first step in determining if we might be agood fit to work together. If we are, we’ll have a virtual meet and greet. These will give me information about you, be able to price out your return, and get things started. During this process, I’ll learn a bit more about you and what’s going on in your financial life and how I can help with your tax return.